Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Story from a Bahay-kubo Classroom



I've been close to my teachers since I was in grade school. I used to stay in the faculty lounge whenever I had free time to chat with them about the latest news in the campus, teleseryes, hot showbiz intrigues, and my crushes.
Teachers will forever be a part of my life because aside from being a reservoir of knowledge, they show me why I am important and why my life matters.
By third year high school, I thought I already knew what makes teachers tick. But I discovered something that made me realize how brilliant and special teachers are -- the teachers in the remote areas of South Cotabato.
I was doing my mini-thesis and documentary about the level of quality of education in the mountain areas when I first knew of their stories. It was a real story of struggle and passion.
The very first question that came to my mind when I first met them was, "Why do they teach in this area?"
If you're there you will also ask yourself the same question. For one, you need to travel for two hours riding on a habal-habal to reach the school. No electricity. Four classrooms for pupils from Grades I to VI. The parents, in the middle of the class, will ask their children to go home to harvest or to work in their farms.
This was what I discovered. For sure, we have almost the same stories in the remote areas of our region as well.
When I got the chance to talk with them I was able to define teaching as life and not as a profession. Why those people still share their knowledge to the kids in the remote areas despite the risk and dangers. Why until now the fire in their heart keeps burning to serve.
"The moment we see them read together, the moment they ask simple but sensible questions, it makes our heart cry out. It answers the question why we are still here," said one of the teachers.
"Dangers will always be there and it is everywhere, I will not teach here if I'm not dedicated to my profession. I consider these kids as my children. I want all of them to be successful," she added.
True indeed, our chosen field should not only be a profession but our way of life. Three to five years from now I'll have a very big party for my teachers from prep school to college because I am nobody without them. This I swear.

*This article was published last September 25,2010 in Sunstar Davao

No comments:

Post a Comment